Everyone is welcome
We encourage you to attend board meetings and get involved in the success of our schools and students. Durango School District 9-R Board of Education meetings are generally held twice a month starting at 5:30 p.m. and are always open to the public. The first meeting of the month is a Work Session. The second meeting of the month is a Regular Meeting, where actions are taken. There is an opportunity for public comment at the Regular Meetings. All meetings are subject to change and are quorum-dependent.
Guidelines for public comment
For the purposes of this policy, the President refers to the President of the Board. Members of the public can also submit comments to [email protected] for distribution to all board members at any time. Public comment will be held shortly after the meeting is called to order at each regular business meeting, usually the fourth Tuesday of the month.
- A total of 30 minutes is allocated for the public participation portion of each Regular Meeting.
- All participants must be present in person at a Regular Meeting to provide a public comment. Meeting times and locations are listed below on this page.
- Registration for public comment will open a half hour prior to the start of the monthly board meeting. Sign-up is limited to 10 speakers and registration is first-come, first-served.
- The President of the Board (or meeting presider) will read the public comment guidelines and call on speakers in order of their registration.
- Comments are limited to three minutes per speaker. Time will be monitored by staff using a timer. When that time expires, the speaker is permitted to complete a sentence but should make no further remarks.
- Public participation will be at the beginning of the meeting unless otherwise noted in the agenda.
- The President (or meeting presider) may extend the agenda item. While offering a public forum is important to the board, it is also necessary to ensure that the board allows enough time to conduct its regular business.
- At the discretion of the President (or meeting presider), public comment time may be limited or closed and reopened at a later time or date to be announced.
- For operational issues, utilize the district complaint handling process, policy KE, prior to addressing the board. It can be found on BoardDocs under district policies.
- Public comment submissions may not be related to personnel matters.
- The Board will not tolerate slander, name calling, or public defamation of any individual.
- Public comments to the Board are public records. If you have information that you wish to keep private (names, address, phone numbers, etc.) please exclude them from your comments.
- All board meetings are recorded. Those recordings are available on the school district website in accordance with open meetings laws.
- Members of the public are reminded that possession of drugs or controlled substances and deadly weapons, as defined by state law, are prohibited on school grounds and in its buildings.
- All speakers, and those in attendance, shall conduct themselves in a non-disruptive manner. Cheering, snapping, clapping and other distractions are not allowed during or upon completion of any public comment.
- Public comment will not be taken at special meetings or work sessions. Board members do not respond to public comments during this segment of the board meeting. The Board President will follow up on Board matters either by responding to the speaker at a later time or by bringing up the issue addressed in new business. The Superintendent will respond on operational matters at a later time.
- The Board will listen with respect and ask those who address the board and the audience to do the same.
- The matter may be referred to the superintendent for further study or action, or it may be deferred to a future board meeting for response, discussion or action.
- In the case of a virtual meeting, any needed changes to the public comment process will be posted no later than 24 hours prior to the meeting.
- For additional information, email [email protected].
Do's and Don'ts for giving public comment
- Do: Complete the public comment form. All required sections must be completed in order to address the board.
- Do: Utilize the district complaint handling process prior to addressing the board for operational issues
- Do: Introduce yourself and where you are from. If you are speaking on behalf of an organization, identify the organization and your association.
- Do: If speaking to a specific agenda item, limit your remarks to the subject of the agenda item and avoid repeating what others have said.
- Do: Be brief, to the point, and concise.
- Do: Offer solutions for resolving the issue.
- Do: As a policy-making body we ask you to reference policy when possible. Policies can be found here. http://www.boarddocs.com/co/dsd/Board.nsf/Public
- Do Not: Expect the Board to answer questions you may have at the meeting.
- Do Not: Attempt to argue or debate with the board.
- Do Not: Discuss personnel matters with the board.
2023/24 Board Meeting schedule
- August 15, 2023: Work Session at District Office, 201 E. 12th St.
- August 29, 2023: Regular Board Meeting at District Office, 201 E. 12th St.
- September 12, 2023: Work Session at Florida Mesa Elementary School, 216 CO 172, Durango
- September 28, 2023: Regular Board Meeting at District Office, 201 E. 12th St.
- October 10, 2023: Work Session at Park Elementary School, 510 E 6th Ave, Durango
- October 24, 2023: Regular Board Meeting at District Office, 201 E. 12th St.
- November 14, 2023: Work Session at Animas Valley Elementary School, 373 Hermosa Meadows Rd., Durango
- November 28, 2023: Regular Board Meeting, location TBD
- December 12, 2023: Regular Board Meeting, location TBD
- January 9, 2024: Work Session at Riverview Elementary School, 2900 Mesa Ave., Durango
- January 23, 2024: Regular Board Meeting, location TBD
- February 13, 2024: Work Session at Needham Elementary School, 2425 W. 3rd Ave., Durango
- February 27, 2024: Regular Board Meeting at District Office, 201 E. 12th St.
- March 12, 2024: Work Session at Escalante Middle School, 141 Baker Lane, Durango
- March 26, 2024: Regular Board Meeting, location TBD
- April 9, 2024: Work Session at Fort Lewis Mesa Elementary School, 11272 CO 140, Hesperus
- April 23, 2024: Regular Board Meeting , location TBD
- May 7. 2024: Work Session at Sunnyside Elementary School, 75 County Road 218, Durango
- May 21, 2024: Regular Board Meeting , location TBD
- June 11, 2024: Work Session at location TBD
- June 25, 2024: Regular Board Meeting, location TBD