The Special Education team is committed to the mission of empowering every student to be successful in college, career, and the community. The team serves to prepare our students for positive outcomes by ensuring inclusion and equity for students in our educational communities through ongoing multi-disciplinary collaboration and decision-making, intentional and individualized service provision and monitoring, and alignment with family and community partnerships.
The Special Education Department exists to provide each learner with an excellent educational experience in each of our schools. We, the members of Student Support Services, believe:
- Each individual has importance and value. As such, we strive to create access and support that yields success for each learner.
- Collaboration and communication among all team members, including the student, family, staff and community, builds success.
- We make a profound impact in the world as we inspire, empower, and honor the whole learner through intentional planning and well-designed opportunities for student choice and voice.
- We create powerful places of learning that are safe, supportive, and meaningful for our students.
- Student ownership, independence, and self-determination are essential opportunities that lead to growth and goal attainment for each learner.
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to work with you to ensure successful outcomes for each of our Durango School District 9-R Students.
Dr. Vanessa Giddings- Executive Director of Student Support Services, 970-247-5411 ext. 1456
Mari Stevenson- Director of Special Education, 970-247-5411 ext. 1109
Steve Steiner- Coordinator of Special Education, 970-247-5411 ext. 1100