It is intended to support students who are evaluated to be exceptional in aptitude/cognitive reasoning, academics, school readiness and motivation. Early Access is not an acceleration pattern recommended for the majority of age 4 or age 5 gifted children who will benefit from preschool or kindergarten programming that responds to the strength area. The purpose is to identify and serve the few highly advanced gifted children who require comprehensive academic acceleration. The decision is based on a thorough set of research-based procedures to determine if a child is eligible.
Early Access Timeline
- Receive Early Access Application packets from either the Durango School District Administration Building, 201 East 12th Street, by requesting a hard copy be mailed to your home, or by requesting it come to your personal email address—February 1
- Complete applications and screening portfolios are due—April 1. Applications after April 1st will only be accepted under unusual circumstances (i.e., a family moving to our area after the deadline but before school starting)
- Portfolios will be evaluated by the Early Access Team to see if further testing is warranted
- Testing is done
- Determination letters are sent within 60 calendar days of application and no later than June 1
- An Advanced Learning Plan is created by September 30 and progress is monitored every 5 weeks throughout the first year of Early Access
For further information or application assistance, please call Libby Culver, the Coordinator of Early Childhood Programs at 247-5411, ext. 1468 or Erin Henthorn, Administrative Assistant at ext. 1461.