Required and Recommended Vaccines for the 23-24 School Year

We wish you and your student a healthy school year! 


Required and recommended vaccines 

  • Colorado law requires students who attend a public, private, or parochial kindergarten - 12th grade school to be vaccinated against many of the diseases that vaccines can prevent, unless a Certificate of Exemption is filed. For more information, visit

Your student must be vaccinated against:

 o Diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis (DTaP, DTP, Tdap). 

 o Hepatitis B (Hep B). 

 o Measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR). 

 o Polio (IPV). 

 o Varicella (chickenpox). 

  • Colorado follows recommendations set by CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices. Students must receive their final doses of DTaP, IPV, MMR, and varicella prior to kindergarten entry. Students entering sixth grade must receive one dose of Tdap vaccine prior to entry, even if they are younger than 11 years old. You can view recommended vaccine schedules at
  • Vaccines are recommended for hepatitis A, influenza, meningococcal disease, and human papillomavirus, but are not required for school entry.

 Exclusion from school

  • Your student may be excluded from school if your school does not have an up-to-date Certificate of Immunization, Certificate of Exemption, or in-process plan on file for your student.
  • If someone gets sick with a vaccine-preventable disease or there is an outbreak at your student’s school and your student has not received the vaccine for that disease, they may be excluded from school activities. That could mean lost learning time for them and lost work and wages for you. For example, if your student has not received an MMR vaccine, they may be excluded from school for 21 days after someone gets sick with measles. Have questions? Talk with a healthcare provider licensed to give vaccines or your local public health agency (LPHA) about which vaccines your student needs or if you have questions. You can read about the safety and importance of vaccines at,,, and

Paying for vaccinations


If you need help finding free or low-cost vaccines and providers who give them, go to, contact your LPHA, or call the Mile High Family Health Line at 303-692-2229 or 1-800-688-7777 to ask about Medicaid contact information. You can find your LPHA at


Vaccination records 

  • Please take your student’s updated Certificate of Immunization to school every time they receive a vaccine.
  • Need to find your student’s vaccine record? It may be available from the Colorado Immunization Information System (CIIS). Visit for more information, including directions for how to use the CIIS Public Portal to view and print your student’s vaccine record.


  • If your student cannot get vaccines because of medical reasons, you must submit a Certificate of Medical Exemption to your school, signed by a health care provider licensed to give vaccines. You only need to submit this certificate once, unless your student’s information or school changes. You can get the form at
  • If you choose not to have your student vaccinated according to the current recommended schedule, you must submit a Certificate of Nonmedical Exemption to your school. Nonmedical exemptions must be submitted annually at every new school year (July 1st through June 30th of the following year). For Fall 2023, you must submit a new Certificate of Nonmedical Exemption with a date after June 30, 2023. We cannot accept a certificate completed before that date for the following school year. There are two ways to file a nonmedical exemption: 

○ File the Certificate of Nonmedical Exemption WITH a signature from an immunizing provider, OR\

 ○ File the Certificate of Nonmedical Exemption received upon the completion of our online education module.


 How’s your school doing on vaccinations? 
Some parents, especially those with students who have weakened immune systems, may want to know which schools have the highest percentage of vaccinated students. Schools must report immunization and exemption numbers (but not student names or birth dates) to the state health department annually. Schools do not control their specific immunization and exemption rates or establish the Vaccinated Children Standard described in §25-4-911, CRS. Schools must include their MMR immunization and exemption rates from the most recently completed school year in this letter. Schools may choose to also include immunization and exemption rates for other school-required vaccines. Additional immunization and exemption rates can be found at