Skip to main content
Mobile Menu
Please Create A Marquee

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the Entrance Age Requirements?

A child may enter kindergarten if five years old on or before September 1 of the year of enrollment. Students enrolling in the first grade may enter if they are six years old on or before September 1 of the year of enrollment. A student who is at least five years old on or before October 1 may be permitted to enroll in first grade if the student attended at least 120 days of kindergarten in another state. For information visit our Early Access page.


Durango 9-R also offers preschool, for more information about the preschool program, visit our Early Childhood page. Please note that the preschool programs are tuition based, with some exceptions made based on evaluations.


A legal birth certificate or other acceptable record shall be required for enrollment age certification along with other required registration documents.


Where will my student attend school?

The district endorses the neighborhood school concept and makes many decisions based on student population within the attendance areas of residence. It is recognized, however, that some students may wish to attend a school other than that of their assigned school. Therefore, students may be allowed to attend any school or participate in any program of their choice on a space available, staff available, first-come, first-served basis through our open-enrollment process. Check the map on the inside front cover of this guide for your attendance area or check our boundary map on our website to find your neighborhood school.


May I enroll my child at a school different from the one in our attendance area?

For the most part, yes, you may enroll your student in a school outside of your attendance area. If you want to enroll in a school outside your attendance area, you must apply for open enrollment in accordance with the district’s Open Enrollment Policy JFBA, and space must be available at the school to accommodate students outside of the attendance area.


To apply for open enrollment, follow these steps:

  • Obtain an open enrollment form on the district’s website or from your school.
  • If you are open enrolling from within the district, obtain the principal’s signature from the school you are supposed to attend.
  • Submit the open-enrollment form to the school you wish to attend during the scheduled open-enrollment period. You will be informed about the status of your application no later than May 1.
The district considers the following factors for open enrollment:
  • Students of district employees;
  • Siblings of open-enrollment students currently attending the school and residing in the school district.
If I open-enroll my student in a school, does that mean we can stay in that school next year?
Any student open enrolled shall be allowed to remain enrolled in the school or program unless:
  • The student is expelled from the school or program.
  • The student’s continued participation in the school or program requires the district to make alterations in the structure of the school or to the arrangement or function of rooms.
  • There is a lack of space or teaching staff.
Can I request a specific teacher for my student?
We discourage parents from requesting specific teachers for their students.
Every spring, teachers and principals review each student’s performance, strengths, and weaknesses, and assign students to classes for the next year based on those characteristics. We assign students to teachers who can best meet their needs.
We want to balance student personalities so that students complement one another in their new learning communities; and we want to balance class sizes. However, if you have a specific concern about the class and teacher to whom your student has been assigned, please contact your school’s principal.
What will I need to register my child in school?
Birth certificate or other proof of legal age. Proof of residence. An emergency telephone number where the parent or guardian can be reached. Please have any other pertinent information for your child, such as special education records, medications needed, etc. Immunization record. If your child has attended school prior to enrolling in 9-R, you will also need the name and address of the school and district where your child previously attended.
Does my student have to be immunized to attend school?
The Colorado School Entrance Immunization Law requires all students to provide proof of immunizations to be enrolled in school or childcare. Immunization records must be presented by the first day your child attends school or childcare.
Please go to www.cdphe.state.co.us for the most-up-to-date information on requirements. Enter school immunization requirements in the search box and then click on “Clarification of Immunization Requirements.” Or, contact San Juan Basin Public Health at sjbpublichealth.org.
Students may be exempted from immunizations if they have submitted a signed medical, religious, or personal exemption. The Immunization Registry Act of 2007 CRS 25-4-2403 allows for the collection of immunization information from schools. This means that schools can legally enter a student’s immunization information into the state immunization registry and access that information to include in the student’s school record. However, parents legally have the right to exclude their child’s information from the registry. Contact your health office for more information.
Will the district enroll home-schooled students in programming?
Yes. It’s called shared schooling. To participate in the shared schooling program, do the following:
  • File your intent to home school in writing with the Shared Schooling Coordinator or Chief Student Services Officer at 201 E. 12th St. A home schooling form may be found on our Shared School page.
  • Register high school students for part-time attendance during regularly scheduled registration days at your high school of choice.
Minimum attendance for elementary and middle school shared schooling students is 90 hours per half year or a minimum of six hours per week. Elementary and middle school home-schooled students can also participate in the district’s Shared School program that meets on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. For more information visit our Shared School page.
Can a shared schooling student earn a DHS diploma?
The shared schooling program for Durango High School offers two tracks–one for students who want to enroll in an occasional DHS class but who do not want to obtain a DHS diploma, and one for students who wish to apply home schooling credits toward the DHS diploma. The district strongly recommends that high school students who wish to apply home school credits toward a DHS diploma meet with a high school counselor and administrator to design a course of study and to ensure that all requirements are met.