The Durango School District 9-R endorses the neighborhood school concept and makes many critical decisions based on student population within the attendance areas of residence. The District also recognizes that resident students may wish to attend a school within the district outside of their assigned school. District policy allows students to attend any school of their choice on a space available, first come, first served basis through the Open Enrollment process.
If you have an interest in your child attending a school other than their neighborhood school, you need to initiate a request for open enrollment by completing the Open Enrollment application located below. You may also obtain the form at any school office or at the Administration building. Once the form is completed, you will need to obtain the signatures of both the sending and receiving principals if the student lives within the district boundaries.
Registration in the school of choice will not be permitted until the student has received approval for open enrollment or transfer. Approval will be granted based on availability of space and resources. Students within the designated attendance area shall have priority in registering in that school.
February 15, 2017 – Open Enrollment Applications
are available for the 2017/18 school year.
April 1, 2017 – Applications are due.
May 1, 2017 – The receiving school principal will be responsible for notifying the parents/guardians and students of approval or disapproval of an open enrollment.
October 1, 2017 – Open enrollment requests received after this date must be approved by the Superintendent before the student is registered for the new school. Important LinksAttendance Boundaries
- Click here to view a listing of feeder schools and to determine which school zone your residence falls within via Google Maps.Registration Information
- Click here for district-wide registration information and documents.
Intra District Choice Enrollment Policy
- Click here for the district-wide policies around intra-district choice enrollment.
Inter District Choice Enrollment Policy
- Click here for the district-wide policies around inter-district choice enrollment.Common Documents
Open enrollment documents for 2017/18:
For more information about registering for Middle School, please select "Middle School Selection" from the Registration page.
Frequently Asked Questions
What factors could cause my open enrollment request to be denied?
- The school is at class size capacity, grade level capacity or total enrollment capacity.
- The student has a particular talent, interest, or need for a program that is not available at the open enrollment school.
- The student has been expelled from another school.
- The students does not meet eligibility criteria such as age requirements, course prerequisites, and required levels of performance.
- Academic Standing.
- Disciplinary Record.
- Any other factors deemed appropriate by principal of receiving school
What is the priority for accepting students for open enrollment?
Students have priority for open enrollment based on the following order:
1. A new student applicant who is a sibling of a currently open enrolled or center‐based student and lives at the same residence as the currently enrolled student.
2. A student who resides within Durango School District 9‐R and whose parent/guardian is employed at the school.
3. A new student applicant who resides within the district and is not a sibling of a currently enrolled student.
4. A student who resides outside Durango School District 9‐R and whose parent/guardian is employed at the school.
5. A new student applicant who resides outside the district and is a sibling of a currently enrolled student.
6. A new student applicant who resides outside of the district.
Is transportation provided for students who are open enrolled?
The district will offer transportation for middle school students in the district who have been approved for open enrollment. Students may ride the bus to the local elementary school and then ride the appropriate bus to their chosen middle school. For more information about the bus route in your area and transportation to the middle schools, please contact the Transportation Department at (970)247-5335. Transportation may be revoked or denied if the student has three category 2 and/or two category 3 behavior offenses. For an explanation, please see the Student Conduct Code in the Family Success Guide, which may be found online at durangoschools.org.
The deadline for applications has passed. Can I still apply for open enrollment?
Open enrollment requests received on or after this date are submitted through the normal process but must be approved by the Superintendent.
When will I know that my student has been accepted for open enrollment?
Applications for open enrollment received by April 1 of the prior school year will be reviewed and approved, rejected or placed on a waiting list in the order in which the applications are received and will be considered for approval by May 1.
Applications received after April 1 and prior to the start of school
will be held and reviewed the day after fall registration and before the first day of school.What forms do I need to open enroll my child?
Download the Open Enrollment Application for your student from the link above or obtain a copy from any school office. After completing the form, obtain the signatures of both the sending principal and the receiving principal if you live within the district. If you live outside the district or your student was previously enrolled in the school, you only need to obtain the signature of the principal of the school you wish to attend. Return the completed form to the school you would like your student to attend.How do I determine which school is my neighborhood school?
The location of your residence determines where your child attends school. Three elementary schools fall within Durango city limits, and four elementary schools fall in outlying areas. The middle school your child will attend depends upon the elementary school attendance area in which you reside.
See our attendance boundary maps here
Once my student is accepted as an open-enrolled student, do I need to re-apply for open enrollment every year?
Once your child is accepted as an open-enrolled student, they do not need to re-apply unless they are contacted by the school to do so or they are not a 9-R student. Students who do not reside in the boundaries of the school district must re-apply for open enrollment each year.
To receive more information about Open Enrollment, please contact the principal of the school your student would like to attend. For further assistance you may contact:
Senior Administrative Assistant
Phone: (970) 247‐5411 ext. 1461