We will continue to do our due diligence and, as determined by the forthcoming Strategic Plan for School Safety and Security, pursue best practices to keep our students, staff, and visitors safe.
The Durango 9-R School Board wishes to thank our students, staff, families, and community members for participating in the two public meetings (attended by over 120 people total), and providing input via a survey (completed by more than 1553 respondents, providing 1440 comments; survey results are available at www.durangoschools.org/safety). Responses offered intelligent, thoughtful, and useful ideas about how best to keep all students, staff, and visitors safe in our schools so that the learning environment continues to be sound and strong.
Since 2015, in partnership with our law enforcement and emergency response agencies, many best practices have been taken to improve the safety of our students, staff, and visitors. These include:
- Increasing socio-emotional support personnel;
- Safe2Tell (anonymous tip line program);
- Increased partnership with law enforcement agencies;
- Radios for key staff on all campuses;
- Video monitoring for campus entry systems;
- Surveillance cameras in schools; and
- Visitor check-in vestibule build-outs in two schools by summer 2020.
We have received over $1.6 million in school safety grants to support many of these efforts. We invite the community to learn more about our continued efforts around Safety & Security at www.durangoschools.org and the response to the survey. We always invite public comment at regularly scheduled meetings and via email.